Barberries Culinary Notes :
- To rehydrate: soak them for 10 minutes in cold water, drain, then sauté gently in oil and a splash or two of more water, until they begin to swell.
- Sprinkle them on to a dish of rice or couscous or strew over pot-roasted chicken
- For an incredible lamb rub, grind the dried berries in your mortar & pestle with salt and pepper.
- Make into a stuffing mix with chopped almonds, cooked rice and onions, all laced with cumin and coriander – perfect for lamb.
- They make a stunning addition to homemade mincemeat, along with orange zest and cinnamon.
The plant has a reputation for increasing the longevity. Barberries mixed with warm natural remedies like cinnamon and honey leads to liver strength and treats Polydipsia and diarrhea caused by liver weakness and gastric problems. They are high in vitamin c and help improve the immune system.
Recipe/ product links:
Country of origin:
Other names or spelling: zereshk, pipperages