Achari Masala is gorgeous and exotic on every level – taste, aroma, and it certainly looks fabulous…like something an ancient queen would have her cooks use at a banquet to impress her friends.
But it’s not just for ancient queens. Here’s how you can make it at home.
You can add this powder to curries, to dal and anything else you may want to experiment with…like a roast chicken, or grilled fish, or whatever you can imagine…
Here’s what you need
- Dry red chilies– 16-18
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Onion seeds \ kalonji – 3 tsp
- Fennel seeds \ saunf – 6 tbsp
- Mustard seeds \ rai – 6 tbsp
- Fenugreek \ methi seeds – 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 6 tsp
- Salt – 6 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 3 tbsp
- Asafoetida \ heeng – 1\2 tsp
- Dry mango powder\ amchoor – 3 tsp
Here’s how to make it
- Dry roast dry red chilies, coriander seeds, onion seeds, fennel seeds, mustard seeds and cumin till slightly browned and fragrant.
- Cool for 5 minutes.
- Blend in a blender with rest of the ingredients to make a coarse powder.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a month in a cool and dry place or refrigerate it for about 2 months.
Thanks to http://myeverydaymusing.blogspot.com.au/ for the recipe and stunning imagery.