When we saw this recipe we just had to share it.
We found the original recipe and photos here at Spoon Fork Bacon. It’s a great website so when you get the chance check it out.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon of chai spices (our chai sprinkles would be perfect)
- 3 medium (over-ripe) bananas
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Spices used in this recipe
Ground ginger is ginger that has been dried and finely milled. It has a lemony fresh aroma and tangy freshness, slight spiciness and warmth that marry well with cakes, pastries and bread mixes as well as Indian and Asian curries. Ginger is considered a versatile spice, it can be used in sweet and savoury dishes and can replace fresh ginger in any recipe. In its powered form it is key ingredient in curry blends and Chinese Five Spice.$3.45
Ground Cardamom Pods
Ground Cardamom Pods have a strong, unique taste, with an intensely aromatic fragrance and a minty coolness. The powder is made from the oval-shaped green cardamom pods, and are used in a variety of savoury and sweet dishes. Next to black pepper, cardamom is the most common spice in India. It is also one of the world’s most ancient spices, often glorified as the Queen of Spices. It is an essential ingredient of Garam Masala.$3.45
Cinnamon Ground – Cassia Vera
Cinnamon Ground is the ground powder form of the Cassia quills . It is a spice obtained from the inner bark of several tree species from the genus Cassia vera. Cinnamon is used in both sweet and savoury foods to impart a warm spice flavour. In the Middle East it is commonly paired with meats such as chicken and lamb. The term ‘cinnamon’ also refers to its mid-brown colour.$3.45
Nutmeg is a unique, versatile, and sweet spice. It is the dried, large, and hard seed of a pear-shaped fruit. It is finely ground, has a brown colour, and contains a high oil quantity. Has a warm aromatic flavour that complements a diversity of foods, particularly sweet dishes. Its ground form is generally preferred for baking when a pre-ground powder is more convenient.$3.45
Chai Sprinkles is a delicious chai spice blend to add the finishing touches to any chai latte. Our unique spice blend is sugar-free and complements the spices used in chai tea blends. With warming cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger plus a hint of cardamon and cocoa these sprinkles are a great addition to any pantry.
This delightful spice blends can be used in so many ways to increase that hint of sweetness without the addition of sugar or honey.$7.95
Allspice Berries Ground
Also known as pimento, the allspice berry imparts flavours reminiscent of cinnamon, nutmeg & cloves with a hint of pepper. Allspice is a single small berry from the Jamaican bayberry tree. It is the dried unripe fruit which has a brown colour, which is ground to produce an easy to use powder. Its heavy sweetness lends allspice a great deal of versatility. It is a key ingredient of Caribbean cuisine. It also contains essential oils with anti-microbial components and health benefits.$3.45
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, salt, allspice, and nutmeg together, into a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Pour milk and chai into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and steep for 20 minutes, discarding the used chai. Then in a small bowl, mash bananas with chai milk. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl cream together butter and sugar, about 2 minutes. Scrape down sides of the bowl and add mix in eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in the vanilla and banana mixture, until just combined.
- Add in flour mixture and stir together until fully combined.
- Grease a baking dish and pour in banana cake mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the bread.
- Allow bread to cool in pan for about 20 minutes before removing and allowing bread to cool completely. Slice and serve.