Instead of giving Dad the same tired old gifts for Father’s Day (Sunday, 3rd September), why not do something unique and special this year?
After all, men love to grill, and right now it seems like Australians are fascinated with all things American when it comes to the BBQ.
In the past, an Australian BBQ meant a six pack of VB, some snags and burger patties, and box of Cadbury assorted chocolates – but now it’s all about thick juicy steaks, small brewery handcrafted beers, and slow-cooked baby back ribs, flavoured with with smoke, chillies, and spices.
Rich smoky flavours and slow cooked meats that fall off the bone have definitely hit their mark in the hearts of Australian BBQ lovers.
This is the new trend, so Aussie men need to step up their game!
We’ve got some simple new suggestions for helping your dad rachet up his BBQ skills this year.
Want to get the ultimate gift for your BBQ-loving dad? Make his day (and make him a legend on the barbecue) with one of our three special Father’s Day gift options:
This all-in-one bundle includes:
- A new spice grinder set.
- Our Smoky BBQ rub bundle (includes ten packets of chillis, spices, salts and our new exclusive new smoke powders!)
- Our Himalayan salt block. A salt block is a big block of salt that can be used instead of a skillet when you’re cooking – and they work beautifully for grilling, too! When you grill your food on a salt block, the food will be infused with a light touch of saltiness that elevates its natural flavor.
- A one-time, 15% off voucher for anything in the Spice People store, when you spend at least $49.00 .
We’re offering this bundle for a limited time as a special for Father’s Day – and you can grab it for just $69.95. Get free shipping when you order today!
Need a smaller gift for Dad? Check out our Mini BBQ Bundle, which includes:
- A new spice grinder set.
- Our Smoky BBQ rub bundle (includes ten packets of chillies, spices, salts and our new exclusive new smoke powders!)
- A one-time, 15% off voucher for anything in the Spice People store, when you spend at least $49.00 (you can add a few extra items to your cart to reach the $49 minimum, and it will be just like getting some spices for FREE!)
Is your dad the kind of guy who wants to pick out his own “King of the Grill” gift? Do you need a unique last-minute gift?
Get him one of our gift vouchers! Our vouchers come in $25, $50, and $100 increments, and they’re available for you to buy online. When you buy a voucher, we’ll send an instant email notification straight to your dad’s inbox…and you can even customize it with a little Father’s Day message from you!
So, what’s special about our Father’s Day gift options?
Read on to find out to use our amazing smoke powders and smoky rubs, why grinders can help him up his game, and how to finish off your BBQ adventures with an amazing American dessert.
What Are Smoke Powders, and How Can You Use Them?
If you’ve always wanted to recreate the traditional backyard barbecues you see on American cooking shows, I’ve got a great shortcut for you.
On those shows, you see the stars going through a labor of love to smoke ribs for days to get that amazing flavour. If you’d love to replicate that taste, but you’re thinking, “There’s no way I can put a smoker in my backyard, and I don’t have time to smoke my dinner for days”, I’ve got great news: You can achieve that same flavour without all the effort!
Our new smoke powders will make anything taste like it’s been in a smoker for hours (or days!).
Since smoke powder flavours improve with time, I recommend that when you’re using a smoke powder, you mix it into your spice rub in advance and let it sit for a few days before you use it. Your spice rub will have a better depth of flavour than liquid smoke if you do this.
Remember that smoke powders are very strong, so one teaspoon mixed with 40 to 50 grams of pure herbs and spices is plenty. If you use too much, your dish may have a bitter aftertaste.
Once it’s infused for a few days, you can use your mixture in two different ways:
- As a regular spice rub. You can take the mixture, rub it right on your meat, veggies, or other dish, and cook right away. Smoke powder makes for an excellent replacement flavouring where the product cannot tolerate added liquids (such as sausages, dry spice and herb seasoning blends, gravies, soups and nut meats).
- As a marinade. You can mix your spice rub with a bit of liquid (like olive oil, water, or stock) and marinate your meat in it for a few hours before you grill. Marinating allows the flavour to penetrates a bit deeper into the meat, which gives you a wonderful flavour.
Smoke powders are relatively new product, usually only available for commercial production – but we are super excited to be one of the first to be able to offer these smoke powders in retail packets that you can buy in our online store.
We’ve been able to source an Australian supplier who has created a range of amazing smoke flavours using Australian woods to make everything from hickory to manuka wood smoke.
These are 100% natural spray-dried natural smoke flavouring produced by combining malto-dextrin with an aqueous smoke solution.
The applications are endless, and vegetarians will rejoice at the ability to use the smoky flavours to create wonderful, robust umami flavour to veggies (or even rice!)
To jump start your family’s barbequing adventures, We have put together a collection of a smoke powder, spices and BBQ rubs.
Introducing Our Smoky BBQ Rub Collection
Our 10-packet saver bundle includes all the chilli, spices, salts and smoke powders you’ll need to start cooking up a storm on the BBQ in no time.
You can mix and match to create your own special rub, or just add a little smoke powder to one of your own favorite spice blends to add a new dimension to your barbecue flavours.
When you buy this bundle, you save 20% off the individual packet price – so you can get everything you need to become a grillmaster!
This 10-packet bundle includes:
- Chipotle chilli powder
- Ancho chilli powder
- Crushed chillies
- Mexican Tex Mex
- New Orleans cajun spices
- Jamaican jerk spice
- Smoky BBQ rub
- Hickory smoke powder
- Smoky paprika
- A large Himalayan pink salt.
But there is so much more to explore with smoke powders and BBQ flavours!
Take Our Spice Grinders for a Test Drive (or Give One to Dad!)
Have a few favorite herbs and spices that you love to use on everything?
Why not try using our custom-made spice grinders? They’re perfect for creating your own do-it-yourself spice rubs. With our grinders, you can mix and match any grindable spice.
Freshly ground herbs and spices will give you better depth of flavour for your dishes. We’ve now got these grinders for the home cook who wants to make their own blends, and create their own signature dishes.
Make sure your dad is the one making everyone happy at your next family BBQ – and that everyone is clamouring to get the recipe for his one-of-a-kind dish!
Need some ideas to inspire your creativity? Here are some of our favorite All-American blends to help you create a memorable BBQ feast:
- Texas style beef rub: 1tsp Chipotle chilli powder + 1tsp smoke powder + 1tbsp celery seasoned salt + 3tbsp Cajun spice mix .
- Mexican-style chicken, vegetable, or pork spice mix: 1tsp Ancho chilli powder + 1tsp chipotle chilli powder + 3tbsp Mexican tex mex + 1tsp smoke powder, + 1tbsp macrobiotic salt.
- Milwaukee seasoning: 2tbsp celery salt + 1tbsp whole black pepper + 3tbsp smoked paprika + ½ tsp cardamom ground + ½ tsp marjoram +1 tsp smoke powder + 1tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- Chicago “Pullman Seasoning” for pork and chicken: 2tbsp Jamaican jerk, + 1tsp chipotle chilli powder + 1tsp chili flakes + 1tbsp macrobiotic salt + ½tsp smoke powder.
Finish Off Your BBQ with an American Favorite: Pumpkin Pie
A blog post about American dishes wouldn’t be complete without an all-American dessert to finish the day.
We love sweet pumpkin pie, and we are also fans of making it without the pie crust, using a ramekin – but it is entirely up to you.
Here’s a link to our favorite version on our website – it’s delicately spiced with cinnamon, ginger and cloves.
You could also create the ubiquitous pumpkin pie spice blend, which is used in everything from chai to all kinds of baking. Here’s the pumpkin pie spice blend you could substitute in our recipe above:
- 3tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2tsp ground ginger
- 2tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ tsp ground allspice and 1 ½ tsp ground cloves
Mix these spices together and store in an airtight container. You’ll only need about 2tsp of this mixture to make your pie.
Do you have a favorite barbecue secrets to share?
Let us know what dad thinks of our gift bundles ?
We’d love to hear about it in the comments below!
And have a fantastic Fathers ‘day !