There is something about cooking your food in a slow cooker. Just put it in the morning and it will be ready for you by the time you get home from work. It also works wonders on cheaper cuts of meat. You can also make extra that can be used for lunch next day or frozen for next few days.
Now that we have talked about the slow cooker at length, it is time to prepare one of the best dishes that can really bring out the flavours when cooked for hours, the Malaysian Beef Curry. If you are trying to watch your weight, then you can cut carbs from this meal and replace it with cauliflower rice. The rice is incredibly easy to prepare and taste wonderful with this dish.
All you need to do is grate some cauliflower. Right before preparation, throw in some coconut cream in a saucepan with the grated cauliflower and allow it to cook for a few minutes. Garnish with coriander.
Now coming to the beef curry, slow cooked variant of this curry is an ideal winter meal that can be ready when you come home. You can also add some green leafy vegetables such as kale and spinach to add some colour as well as flavour, not to mention the added nutrition that comes with it. However, remember to add them just a minute or two before serving. This way they will be cooked just enough, without losing their colour. You can also garnish it with some coconut cream.
Here are the ingredients that you will need for your slow cooker Malaysian beef curry minus the unhealthy carbs!
- 800g beef cut into large pieces. The meat cuts should be suitable for casserole or a stew.
- Coconut cream, 250ml
- Quartered red onion, 1 nos.
- Ground cardamom, 1 tsp
- Chinese five spice powder, 1 tsp
- Chili powder, ½ tsp
- Ground cinnamon, 1 tsp
- Ground Coriander/cilantro, 2 tsp
- Ground cumin, 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder, 1 tsp
- Whole cloves, 4 nos.
- Handful of leafy greens
- Add all the spices and coconut cream in a slow cooker and mix it well.
- Add chopped onions and beef to the mixture and blend them all together.
- Cook for 8-10 hours on low heat or 4-6 hours on high heat. Be sure to check the cooker times and settings to set the timer correctly.
- Wait until the beef is tender
- Just 5 minutes before serving, add leafy greens to your recipe.
- Serve the dish topped with grated coconut and a dash of cream.
This dish is incredibly healthy and can make up for perfect dinner. Slow cooked beef curry will not only retain all the juices but also mix all the flavours well to give you optimum taste.