Turmeric is the name of a spice in the ginger family and is commonly used across Asian kitchens. It can be easily identified from its mustard yellow color and also gives a yellow hue as well as flavor to any dish. Along with culinary value, it also comes with several health benefits. Turmeric powder is packed into spice boxes and sent with related goodies such as a few other ingredients and recipes.
Know about turmeric’s health benefits
A compound known as curcumin is present in turmeric powder and is responsible for several health benefits which are listed below:
- It helps in the fight against cancer caused by radiation
- It has several anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties
- It can fight body pains due to bursitis, tendonitis, and arthritis
- It aids the body in its fight against atherosclerosis
- Alzheimer’s disease can be kept at bay through the consumption of turmeric
- Turmeric, in combination with honey, helps relieve sore throats
- When mixed with water and honey, it is able to relieve skin acne
- Sleep can be enhanced by consuming turmeric tea, by virtue of the spice’s Ayurvedic properties
- Turmeric gives relief from stomach problems like bloating, diarrhea, and stomach pain
Properties of turmeric powder
Menu items can get the following flavors by incorporating turmeric:
- If you want a mild aroma and a slightly bitter taste, turmeric should be used
- In case you do not have saffron and are searching for a suitable alternative, turmeric will do fine. However, the flavor wouldn’t be exactly the same.
- To impart pungency and color, turmeric is used in tagines, biryanis(vegetarian and non-vegetarian), curries, and vegetables
- Turmeric also gives a rich and warm flavor
- Once again, pungency and flavor make it suitable for Thai cuisine, especially yellow curry and turmeric soup. You will also see its use in Vietnamese soup and stir fried dishes, as well as Japanese food items.
- Turmeric is a natural antiseptic and is applied to bruises
- Turmeric acts as a natural remedy for sunburn. It is a popular ingredient in several commercial sunscreens as well.
- Pickle lovers would enjoy turmeric mixed with lemon, salt, and ginger, which can be served as a pickle
- Use turmeric as a dessert topping and to dress fruit salads due to its savory properties
Types of turmeric
Two kinds of turmeric are greatly used in various parts of the world- Alleppey and Madras. Incidentally, these turmeric types are both named due to places in India with the same names. For the best flavor of fresh turmeric, one must make use of the Alleppey variety. This variety is normally packed into boxes and made available through ecommerce channels.
In India, turmeric paste is commonly applied on the groom and bride’s faces and arms before the wedding, as a part of the pre-wedding rituals. There is a lot of fun that goes into the application of the paste. Turmeric is helpful for skin beautification, visible after both bride and groom take baths after the holy ceremony.