We know some of our customers suffer from intollerances and allergies so we’ve collated our dietary information for your reference when purchasing our products to make for an easy, safe consumer experience. We are HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points) certified and accredited ensuring we meet the strictest quality control and food safety guidelines.
- At The Spice People, we only have tree nuts and manage strict isolation of all our tree nut products (pistachio, hazelnuts and almonds) and sesame seeds, so they do not come into contact with our other spices. We also thoroughly clean equipment after the nut products and sesame seeds have been packed. We have no peanuts or peanut products on the premises. We ensure to print on all of our spice packets “Packed in a facility that processes nuts” to provide complete transparency.
We also operate an audited food safety management system as per HACCP guidelines and to maintain our accreditation. We also obtained and thoroughly check additional information from our suppliers as to the allergen status of the materials we purchase from them. As we do not prepare these raw products, we cannot make absolute guarantees of their contents.
- The situation with respect to gluten is similar. Gluten (in the form of wheat starch) is not added to our spices.
While we do not manufacture any gluten product on the premises, we still advise those that suffer from coeliac disease that they should consume products at their own discretion as we do not test for the presence of gluten.
- Lupins have now been added to mandatory allergen labelling in Australia.
At The Spice People, we do not handle Lupins, or stock them in our manufacturing premises. Should the situation occur where a product or ingredient may become contaminated with traces of lupins, this will be declared on our website, and on the labels of any products that may be effected.
- Organic Policy
- Organic Spices and herbs are becoming more readily available, however they are only worth buying if the flavor and quality is as good as or better than, non certified organic material.
The harvest and post harvest handling and manufacturing processes need to be very stringent to ensure the maximum essential oil component of the herb or spice is retained as this is the essence of the flavor from these products. There is not much point in choosing an organic product which taste like hay or dust.
The good news is that most of the herbs and spices are essentially wild and hand harvested, which means that there is less likelihood of any chemical contamination. While some herbs and spices are commercially grown, they are all certified to contain no residual chemical or pesticides.
We understand the worldwide movement towards cleaner foods which are free from chemical and pesticides and have made the commitment to ensure that if we can source an organic option that meets our stringent specifications will choose to source this herb or spice for our range
We have also recently obtained our Australian organic certification (registration number 12777). The ACO certification will only be on the individual spices which have been registered and approved.
We expect the trend towards organics to drive and increase in quality and availability in the market and we will continue to add in more organic lines they become available.
Should you have any questions with respect to chemical and pesticides in spices, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.
- Low Sodium Options
- We receive many inquiries about using herbs and spices to reduce the levels of salt in cooking.
Although we have not developed specific low sodium recipes, we do have a large number of spice blends that have no added salt. Visit https://thespicepeople.com.au/product-category/gourmet-spices/salt-free-blends/ to take a look at our salt-free blends.
We believe you don’t need high contents of salt in meals to make great flavour. If you do however like a salty hit we have some slightly healthier options for you like our Celery Salt Seasoning and Seaweed Salt. These two products combine small amounts of salt with other great flavours so you can cut down on your sodium levels, not on flavour!