Make your own Vanilla Bean Paste
Every baker’s pantry staple – Vanilla Bean Paste. Yes, you can buy it at the store, but I so prefer homemade. It not only saves a bucket of money but tastes absolutely amazing!
Another bonus – it fills your house with the sweet scent of vanilla for days to come.
Our version is also alcohol-free as most bought extracts and pastes contain alcohol.
Here’s how to make it:
- 5-6 The Spice People’s Vanilla Bean Whole
- 85ml water
- 100g white sugar
- 15ml corn or glucose syrup
- Cut the ends of the vanilla beans off – don’t discard them, they are great added to sugar jars to permeate. Cut the beans into half-inch pieces and place them in a food processor.
- Add half the sugar into the processor and pulse until it forms the consistency of sand.
- Add your water, remaining sugar, and syrup to a medium-sized pot and place on medium heat. Bring to the boil and let it bubble away for 2 mins.
- Add your bean/sugar mix to the pot and boil for a further 2 mins.
- Strain your paste through a fine-mesh sieve. Pour the hot strained liquid into a sterilized heat-proof jar with a well-sealing lid and screw the lid on tightly – by pouring the liquid in and closing it while it’s still hot, it will help to seal it well to preserve it for longer.
Use the vanilla paste to make any sweet dish from cakes, to cookies, to pancakes, to puddlings – you name it! Here are a few of our recipes containing vanilla:
Spices used in this recipe
Vanilla Beans (Whole)
The vanilla bean, or pod, is the long slender fruit of the vanilla orchid. Each pod contains thousands of seeds. It is one of the most expensive spices due to its complex and long curing process, particularly due to the orchid only flowering once per year. Vanilla beans are used in most of the world’s cuisines.
They are the purest and most potent form of vanilla and can be reused to steep in the liquid until losing their flavour, or the seeds inside can be scraped out and the pod discarded. It has a floral aroma and a smooth caramel flavor. The best beans are air-dried to a moisture content of 25-30%.
Other products: vanilla sugar.$7.50