Caraway Seeds Whole are also referred to as Meridian Fennel or Persian Cumin. The caraway seed has a pungent aroma and a distinct sweet but tangy flavor. Caraway Seeds add a unique flavor to carrots, potato and cabbage dishes. Most commonly grown in farming regions of India and Holland, it is often used to flavor rye breads, sauerkraut, sausage, cheese, cabbage and soups. It is also widely used in German and Middle Eastern cooking. The seeds are extracted from the plant then dried to preserve flavour and aroma. They lend themselves well to things such as bread dough, adding a strong caraway flavor and slight crunchy texture.
Caraway is a good source of minerals and has many health benefits. It is a rich source of dietary fibre which helps with digestion. It contains many minerals including; iron, copper, calcium, potassium, manganese, selenium, zinc and magnesium.
100% dried Whole Caraway Seeds
Country of origin:
Other names or spelling:
Meridian fennel, Persian cumin, caraway fruit, Persian Caraway, Roman Cumin, Wild Cumin, Carum carvi
How to use:
- Traditionally used in sauerkraut, coleslaw, goulash, stews, cheese, rye bread, seed cake, and pork roasts
- Try sprinkling on steaming parsnips, carrots, cabbage or cauliflower or add to roasted onions and potato dishes
- It is also used in many middle eastern spice blends
- Grind in a mortar and pestle to create a powder
- Bloom in a warm pan to release their volatile oils
- Add in the beginning of cooking or sprinkle on top as a finishing garnish after blooming
- Due to their pungent flavour, add 1/2tsp at a time
- Sprinkle over focaccia dough before baking for a textural crunch and great flavour