The Maras chilli is a cousin of Aleppo chilli grown in the country along the border between Turkey and Syria in region of Maras, hence the name. The Maras chilli has a peppery and fruity flavour and is very bright and colourful . The chilli is sun-dried then ground and seeds are removed . When used in slow cooking, it adds a gentle lingering heat to dishes. It is usually cooked in oil to infuse its lovely flavour into dishes. In Turkey, they use more of this chilli than pepper, so it is quintessential to their cuisine.
Its versatility is only limited by ones imagination.
All of our blends are full of spices that are beneficial to your health. They are preservative free, additive free, and filler free. The intense flavour from our spice blends means a little goes a long way.
Maras chilli flakes without seeds
Country of Origin:
Other names or spelling:
Turkish red pepper, biber, Marash, red pepper
How to use:
- Add directly to dishes, or infuse in oil
- Add to marinades or dips
- Garnish salads and egg dishes
- The fruity and acidic characteristics are perfect for slow cooked meat dishes
- Add a pinch to stews, soups, dressings, or sauces to add a spicy kick
- Combine with sea salt and use as a finishing seasoning on dishes in place of regular salt and pepper
- Add at the beginning of cooking a dish to bloom the spice and release its volatile oils
- Its strong flavour adds a warm kick so only 1/2-1tsp is needed
- Combine with salt and use to rim your glass before serving a margarita or bloody mary