Culinary Notes: Urfa Peppers is a Turkish chilli which comes from the town of Urfa in the south of Turkey. It is a big part of Turkish cuisine as they tend to use more chillies than pepper than the western world counterparts. The preparation of Urfa peppers is what sets this chilli apart from any others in our range. When the red peppers are harvested, they are dried in direct sunlight which turns them a lovely deep burgundy colour. Instead of letting them dry out completely, the farmers cover the chillies at night with fabric to make them "sweat" which preserves some of the natural oils in the skin. This process is a type of fermentation similar to the production of black tea. As a result, when the chillies are ground they retain a moist almost damp texture. The oil ensures the chillies dot get mouldy, but once open it is a good idea to keep in the fridge. The flavour of these chillies is spectacular with deep notes of chocolate and wine and a slow lingering heat with a hit of smokiness.
Health benefits: All of our blends are full of spices that are beneficial to your health. They are preservative free, additive free, and filler free. The intense flavour from our spice blends means a little goes a long way.
Ingredients: Urfa chilli flakes without seeds
Country of Origin: Turkey
Other names or spelling: Urfa pepper
How to use:
- Add directly to dishes or infuse in oil
- Add to marinades or dips
- mix with cumin seeds, sesames seeds and onion as a seasoning for meat dishes.
- The fruity and acidic characteristics are perfect for garnishing salads or raw vegetables
- The Urfa pepper is a chilli that can elevate any dish and is used like black pepper in everyday seasoning
- Add to cold oil and warm on a low heat to make a delicious chilli oil
- Add in the beginning of cooking to bloom and release its volatile oils or as a finishing seasoning after blooming in a warm pan