Culinary Notes: Chillies, originating in Mexico are now grown throughout the world and are used to add flavour and heat to many dishes. India has now taken over as the world's biggest producer, consumer and exporter of chilli peppers. Guntur, in the South Indian state of Andhra Pradesh, produces 30% of all the chillies produced in India. Andhra Pradesh as a whole contributes 75% of India's chilli exports. Dried chillies crushed taste rather different from the fresh variety due to the caramelisation of the sugars that occurs during the drying process. The heat imparted from the chillies is solely dependent on the amount one chooses to add to the dish.
Health benefits: Medically, Capsaicin is considered a safe and effective topical analgesic agent in the management of arthritis pain, diabetic neuropathy, mastectomy pain, and headaches. Capsaicin can also be extracted from chillies and used in pepper spray as an irritant, a form of less-lethal weapon. All chillies contain capsaicin which is known to have many health benefits including boosting the immune system, eliminating inflammation and aiding in weight loss.
Ingredients: 100% dried Crushed Chillies with seeds
Country of origin: Grown in India, Packed in Australia
Other names or spelling: Chilli flakes, Aji, Red Pepper
How to use:
- Add either during cooking or once served
- Use to provide a medium heat to any dish that requires it
- As they have a medium heat, you can control the level of heat in your dishes. Add 1/4-1/2tsp at a time and taste as you go depending on how hot you like it
- Bloom in a warm pan to release their volatile oils
- 1tsp is about the equivalent of 1 long red chilli