Culinary Notes: With a dark brown hue and highly pungent and aromatic flavour, Cloves are a spice which should be used sparingly in both sweet and savoury dishes such as curries, sauces, stocks, apple dishes, and is especially good with baked ham. It is a spice used in a wide array of different cultures and brings the palate a cleansing freshness and sweet-spicy flavour.
Health benefits: Cloves contain an active component called eugenol, which contain not only toothache-quelling qualities but also has several other medicinal properties. It has anti-bacterial properties and is a natural insect repellent. Cloves are a good source of manganese, vitamin K and dietary fibre.
Ingredients: 100% dried Ground Cloves
Country of origin: Indonesia
Other names or spelling: Nelkin, Ting-Hiang, Eugenia caryophyllata
How to use:
- Use in sweet spice blends for a deliciously spiced flavour.
- They can be used to flavour soups, broths or poaching liquids
- They can be added to walnuts and raisins and used in aÂ stuffing recipe.
- When combined with cinnamon it is a great addition to apple cider
- As cloves have a very intense flavour, it is important to be careful when deciding how much to use in order to not overpower the flavours of the other ingredients.
Recipe/product links: Click below or scan the QR code on the back of your product packet to find recipes and how-to-use instructions Chai Spiced Coconut and Maple Ice Cream