Like other spices, cloves are available throughout the year. They are renowned for providing their uniquely warm, sweet and aromatic taste to ginger bread and pumpkin pie, but they can also make a wonderful addition to split pea and bean soups, baked beans and chilli. Cloves are the unopened pink flower buds of the evergreen clove tree. The Cloves Whole buds are picked by hand when they are pink and dried until they turn brown in colour.
Cloves contain an active component called eugenol, which contain not only toothache-quelling qualities, but also has several other medicinal properties. It has anti-bacterial properties and is a natural insect repellent. Cloves are a good source of manganese, vitamin K and dietary fibre.
100% dried Whole Cloves
Country of origin:
Grown in Indonesia
Other names or spelling:
Nelkin, Ting-Hiang, Eugenia caryophyllata
How to use:
- Use sparingly as cloves can easily overpower the dish - 1-2 will impart a hefty clove flavour
- To flavour sauces, soups, broths or poaching liquids, or stocks, put whole cloves into an onion while cooking
- They can be used in most preserved meat dishes, rice dishes and curries
- Use to flavour sweet potato, pumpkin and carrots
- Use whole in dishes and remove before serving
Click below or scan the QR code on the back of your product packet to find recipes and how-to-use instructions
Gin Hot Toddy
Indian Spice Milk Punch