Culinary Notes: A large chilli (3 to 6 inches in length) with thick skin and red-orange tones, this native Mexican chilli has a medium piquancy with a slightly fruity and light smoky flavour. It is used to flavour meats and sauces. For optimum results and flavour, re-hydrate the chillies for 20 minutes in boiling water before use.
Health benefits: All chillies - including Guajillo Chillies - contain capsaicin, a compound known to have many health benefits including boosting the immune system, eliminating inflammation and aiding in weight loss. It also is known to help with arthritis, cardiovascular disease, gastric ulcers, vascular headaches, infections and respiratory conditions.
Ingredients: 100% dried Whole Guajillo Chillies
Country of origin: Mexico
Other names or spelling: Aji, Red Pepper, guajillo chilli, chile guajillo
How to use:
- Toast before use to add to enchiladas, salsas, sauces, soups, stews and tamales.
- Combine with Ancho and Pasilla chiles to make Mexican moles
- Because of its thick skin the Guajillo chilli requires a longer soaking time to rehydrate than most other dried chillies. See below for our post on how to rehydrate chillies correctly
- Add to butters, pastes and rubs to flavour meats
- Use to make Harissa, a hot chilli paste used in Tunisian cooking
- Blitz in a blender to create fine flakes for using in cooking
- Add whole into dishes during the cooking process to impart their flavour and remove before serving
Recipe/product links: Click below or scan the QR code on the back of your product packet to find recipes and how-to-use instructions how to rehydrate chillies