Mexican Mulato Chilli is a dried Poblano chilli and is similar to the flavour of the Ancho chilli. It is dark purple in colour with a sweet and fruity taste, with hints of smoky chocolate, cherries, coffee and licorice. It is about 4 inches in length with a medium-thick skin and is great for many "mole" sauce recipes. It is also excellent to add a dark rich flavour with low to moderate heat to any dish that could use extra warmth. For optimum results and flavour, re-hydrate the chillies in boiling water for 20 minutes before use.
Much like other chilli varieties, Mulato chillies contain capsaicin which is known to have many health benefits including boosting the immune system, eliminating inflammation and aiding weight loss. It also helps with arthritis, cardiovascular disease, gastric ulcers, vascular headaches, infections and respiratory conditions.
100% dried Whole Mulato Chillies
Country of origin:
Other names or spelling:
Aji, Red Pepper, mulato pepper, Mexican mulato.
How to use:
- Combine Mulato Chilli with Ancho and Pasilla Chillies to make Mole Poblano, a dark brown chocolatey spicy sauce, commonly added to chicken or pork
- Use it with Mexican sauces, stews and rice dishes
- The best flavour is acquired by re-hydrating the Chilli in boiling water for 20 minutes - see our post below on how to correctly rehydrate chillies
- Blitz in a blender to create fine flakes for use in cooking
- Add whole into dishes during the cooking process to impart their flavour and remove before serving
Click below or scan the QR code on the back of your product packet to find recipes and how-to-use instructions
how to rehydrate chillies