Culinary Notes: White Pepper is black pepper that has been soaked to remove the outer husk. It is hotter and less fragrant than black pepper. It is one of the most versatile spices, particularly used in European cooking so as to not blemish creamy white sauces with black specs of pepper.
Health benefits: Pepper has Piperine compounds that improve digestion and calms nausea. Also, it is known to have anti-inflammatory, carminative, anti-flatulent properties.
Ingredients: 100% dried Ground White Peppercorns
Country of origin: India
Other names or spelling: Black Pepper, White Pepper, Green Pepper, Pink Pepper, Piper nigrum
How to use:
- It can be used similarly to black pepper ground, especially in light and white dishes for aesthetic reasons. Add at the last minutes in the recipes, because prolonged cooking results in evaporation of essential oils
- Use to flavour any light colour meat like fish and poultry
- Flavour soups and vegetables
- Use it in small quantities in sweet preparations
- Use to flavour light and cream-based sauces
- Use in mashed potatoes
- It is common in Chinese cooking, and also used in aromatic Vietnamese soups and pork dishes, as well as in many Swedish dishes
- Due to its subtle citrus notes, it is ideal ground and mixed with olive oil and lemon juice for a zesty vinaigrette