- Use to make classic harissa paste by blending the harissa powder with splash of hot water, chopped garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. It can be used as a table condiment or as an excellent rub for meats, including chicken and fish, as well as for eggplant. To enrich the flavour, tomatoes and roasted red bell peppers can be added.
- Mix with olive oil to form a smooth paste to drizzle into soups, stews or rice dishes.
- Use to flavour couscous dishes.
- Blend it into hummus to create a fresh and spicy flavour
- Combine yogurt and harissa to create a spicy dip.
- Use to create a flavourful seasoning for roasting and grilling. Sprinkle Harissa on lamb, beef, fish or chicken as a dry marinade before cooking.
This bespoke spice blends is typical of the Tunisian style of harissa spice blends which have the addition of caraway and mint , chilli, cumin, paprika, oregano, garlic, onion as well as Australian sea salt.
Traditionally, we used a very small quantity of brown sugar to help in the caramelisation of the spices when cooking with this blend. However, we no longer use any sugar in our blends. If the spice is too hot please add 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar, to 1 tablespoon of spice blend .
If you want to reduce the heat in the spice blend you can also use 2/3 the recipe recommendation.
Country of origin :
North African, Tunisian, nth african
Other names or spelling: Tunisian chili paste, harissa mix, harissa, harissa sauce