Nutmeg is a unique, versatile and sweet spice. It is the dried, large and hard seed of a pear shaped fruit. It is finely ground, has a brown colour and contains a high oil quantity. Has a warm aromatic flavour that complements a diversity of foods, particularly sweet dishes. Its ground form is generally preferred for baking when a pre-ground powder is more convenient.
Culinary Notes :
- Use it in cakes, muffins, breads, biscuits, spice rubs and roasts
- Use it in vegetable recipes such as squash, pumpkin, carrot, spinach, and sweet potato pie
- Use it in stews, cream and pumpkin soup, meatballs and sausages
- Use in milk drinks
- Use in sweet dishes and with fruit
- For recipes that ask for whole nutmeg use one tablespoon of ground nutmeg
- It combines well with cheese, custard tarts, lamb casseroles, soufflés, pasta, ricotta fritters, rice dishes, and stuffing.
Nutmeg has many health benefits. It can be used as aid to digestion and to sleep. Also, it can protect the brain against degenerative diseases.
Recipe/ product links:
Country of origin:
Other names or spelling: Muskat, Muskatnuss, Myristica fragrans