Onion powder is made from fresh onions which are gently roasted, chopped and dried. This handy mix saves those tears and is great to take camping where space and refrigeration are limited.
Culinary Notes :
- Use onion powder for instant flavour in dishes where the texture is not desired.
- Use 1 tablespoon dried to 1/2 fresh diced onion.
- Use to flavour dishes as gravies, stews, meatballs, chilli, sauces and marinades
- Use to flavour cheese sauce, hamburger mix and egg dishes
- Use in creamy vegetable soups, casseroles, dips and salad dressing
- Use to make herb bread and spice blends
Onions have many compounds responsible for their aroma and health benefits. The onion can help to increase bone density and has anti-inflammatory benefits.
Recipe/ product links:
Country of origin:
Central Asia and Middle East
Other names or spelling: onion chopped, onion flakes, slices of onion, allium cepa, onion powder, ground onion