Pepper berries are obtained from an Australian Native shrub. The berries have a bright purple or dark blue colour with and intense heat, complex fruity flavour and sweet aroma. They are characterised by their versatility and are hotter than conventional peppercorns. Use it in any dish to spice it up with a peppery zing
Culinary Notes :
- Use it sparingly in slow cooking to enhance full flavour
- Use as a substitute for normal pepper
- Sprinkle onto chicken and fish
- It goes well with Lemon Myrtle leaf and black pepper
- Berries can be rehydrated for a better flavour and colour
- Use in casseroles, seasonings and meat rubs.
Pepper berries have many health benefits. They have antioxidants and antimicrobial properties and are a good source of vitamin C.
Country of origin:
Other names or spelling: pepperberry native, Australian Native Pepperberry, Mountain Pepperberry, Mountain Pepperleaf, Tasmannia lanceolata