Black Pepper is picked from the flowering vine of the peppercorn plant and is the most pungent and flavoursome variety of Pepper. Black peppercorns are picked green and then dried to 12% moisture content.Its colour when ground is grey as the seed inside is white. It has a woody flavour with a spicy heat and it is used in all cultures and types of cuisine especially in Moroccan and Middle East cooking. Pepper Black Ground is used in all cultures and all types of cuisine. Also, it is known for improving the digestion. By grinding the Peppercorns into a fine powder it can mix seamlessly into dishes and particularly sauces, adding a warm peppery flavour without the texture.
Culinary Notes :
- Use it in traditional salt and pepper shakers in the table.
- Add to salad dressing, strawberries and pineapple.
- Add to egg dishes, soups, stocks, sauces, marinades and stews
- Use to flavour meats, poultry and fish.
- Use to flavour dips, salsas and cold sauces.
Pepper has Piperine compounds that improve the digestion and calms nausea. Also, it is known to have anti-inflammatory, carminative, anti-flatulent properties.
Country of origin:
Other names or spelling: Black Pepper, White Pepper, Green Pepper, Pink Pepper, Piper nigrum