Sesame Seeds White are tiny, flat oval seeds from the sesame plant whose pods pop open when it reaches maturity scattering the seeds, hence the term “Open Sesame”. The seeds can have different colours including white and black. Sesame Seeds White are hulled seeds, with a earthy, nutty flavour, soft texture, and aroma of lightly caramelized milk, vanilla, and honey. For this reason, they are better suited for sweeter recipes such as cakes and sesame bars and are the most popular used in cooking. White seeds are sprinkled on breads & biscuits. The ground form makes delightful sweet desserts including halva. They are popular due to its distinctive flavour especially in European, South Middle East and Asian cuisine, while sesame seeds Black are used in East Asian cuisines. It can also be used as garnish. We also stock Sesame Seeds Black, which are stronger in aroma and flavour; they are nuttier and smokier, whereas white seeds tend to be duller, milder and sweeter. They are highly valuated for their high content of sesame oil, and also they are a rich source of calcium and essential minerals. they area key ingredient in middle eastern za’atar
Sesame seeds White can be used in several types of dishes. White seeds are sprinkled on breads & biscuits. The ground form makes delightful sweet desserts including halva.
- Toast them to add a stronger flavour.
- Fry the seeds in butter and serve atop white-fleshed fish or bake them into vanilla-flavored cookies,
- Add Sesame Seeds White to biscuits, breads, pies, cakes and stir-fires or sprinkle on them before cooking
- Use to make bread, rolls, crackers, and breadsticks.
- Sprinkle over salads or serve on cooked green beans.
- Scattered on top or puréed into a paste.
- They are good with a range of fruits, especially sweet berries, as well as light-colored vegetables like cauliflower.
- Add to green salads or pasta salads, stir fry, for encrusting chicken or beef, and in sauteed vegetable dishes.
- In Mexican cuisine, pounded into mole sauces to thicken and lend a nutty flavor.
- In Japanise cuisine use to make the exotic Gomassio or gomashio.
- Add to stir-fries just before serving.
- They are good for coating honey prawns or chicken adding a crunchy texture.
Sesame seeds White have high mineral content and an excellent source of magnesium, copper, zinc, iron and phosphorous. The copper helps to have a healthy skin, nails and immune system. They are an excellent source of calcium. Also, they contain B vitamins, niacin and folate.
How to Select:
Try to select high quality Sesame Seeds White with its distinctive milky honey aroma and make sure that the seeds are covered or packed to ensure freshness. Store them in the refrigerator during warm weather due to the high oil content in the seeds. Store in a an airtight container in a cool, dry place during other seasons.
Country of origin :
India, Indonesia, Africa, China
Other names or spelling: Black Sesame, Benne, Gingelly, Golden Sesame, White Sesame, Sesamum indicum, Ajonjolí or Sésamo (Spanish, ) Semi Di Sesamo (Italian) , Till, Teel or Sésame (French), Til (Urdu & Hindi, Bengali), Ellu or Ell (Tamil), Nuvvulu (Telugu), Raashi (Oriya).