Star Anise ground is the primary ingredient in many Chinese dishes such as pork, duck, and stock. Also, it is one of the 5 spices in Chinese Five Spice powder.
Star Anise ground has several health benefits as it has stomachic, stimulant, and diuretic properties. It helps to treat abdominal pain and digestive disturbances and also considered a stimulant and a diuretic. Also, it has anti-bacterial, anti-oxidant, and anti-fungal properties.
100% dried Ground Star Anise
How to use:
- Mix star anise ground with cinnamon, fennel seeds, cloves, and Sichuan pepper to obtain Chine Five Spice powder
- Use in Asian marinades and to flavour stewed fruit
- Sprinkle into stir-fry vegetables or adding it to the liquid for poaching pears or other fruit
- Use to add sweet flavour in bread, pastries and desserts as pudding, strudels and custards
- Use in many pork and chicken dishes
- Its flavour also marries well many fish dishes
- Substitute aniseed for ground star anise, but use about twice as much
Country of origin:
Other names or spelling:
Badian (Spanish), Chinese Anise. Illicium verum, Anise Stars, Badiana, anis de la Chine (French), anise étoilé (French), badiane (French), Sternanis (German) , anice stellato (Italian), anis estrellado (Spanish), ba chio, ba(ht) g(h)ok (Chinese), bart gok, pa-chiao (Chinese), pak kok, peh kah (Chinese), bunga lawang (Indonesian), bunga lawing (Malay)