Culinary Notes: Saffron threads are used in all manner dishes, particularly those that include seafood and shellfish, as well as a variety of rice, sauces, and soups. Saffron is the world’s most expensive spice by weight. Saffron threads are the stigmas of the purple-flowered crocus. Each flower produces only three threads, which are picked and sorted by hand. It is used for its slightly woody and sweeter floral aroma, color, and medicinal properties. Saffron’s golden color can be imitated by cheaper spices such as safflower and turmeric, but its rich and delicate flavor is unable to be imitated. It is used to color and flavor dishes in a variety of cuisines, including Indian dishes such as saffron rice and biryani, Spanish dishes such as paella, Italian risottos, and French bouillabaisse, as well as a range of other recipes including bread, seafood dishes, and soups.
Health Benefits: Saffron has health benefits and medicinal properties. It is considered as an antioxidant and disease-preventing. Its antioxidant properties protect the body from stress, cancer, and infections. It is also considered to be an antiseptic, antidepressant and help aid in the upkeep of good digestion. It is a good source of minerals such as copper, potassium, calcium, manganese, iron, selenium, zinc, and magnesium. Additionally, it is rich in vitamin A, folic acid, riboflavin, niacin, and vitamin C. The abundance of vitamin A means that it is often considered to prevent retinal decay over time.
- 100% dried Whole Saffron Threads
- Packed in Australia from 100% imported products
Other Names or Spelling:
Yellow Flower, Crocus sativus, Safron, Saphron, Safran
How to Use:
- Saffron is best added during cooking to allow the maximum flavour to develop.
- Use half a gram to flavour most family size dishes
- To get the best infusion of colour and flavour: add a pinch of saffron to a small amount of warm liquid (water, milk or stock). Allow to steep for a couple of minutes then add to your dish
- It is used to colour and flavour dishes such as paella and biryani, bread, cakes, fish, risotto, and bouillabaisse