Fennel seeds whole are obtained from the aromatic and tall fennel plant, which originated in the Mediterranean and are member of the caraway family. It is a highly aromatic and flavorful herb with culinary and medicinal uses and, along with the similar-tasting anise, is one of the primary ingredients of absinthe. Florence fennel or finocchio is a selection with a swollen, bulb-like stem base that is used as a vegetable. The seeds release strong anise flavour that is warm and breath freshening. It is key ingredient of the Chinese five spice and Herbs de Provence.
Culinary Notes :
- Used in curry making, satay sauces and Asian dishes
- Use to make breads and cakes especially fruit tarts.
- Use it in marinades, curries or baked goods
- It combines with oregano, parsley, cumin, fenugreek, Sichuan peppercorns, cinnamon, thyme and sage
- It goes well with lentils, beetroot, pork , potatoes, fish, stews, herb butters, dips, fêta cheese and olives.
Fennel contains vitamins and has many health benefits. It can help to treat coughs and asthma. It also can be used as an aid to digestion. It contains Vitamin C and Vitamin B.
Recipe/ product links:
Country of origin:
Southern Europe and the Mediterranean
Other names or spelling: Florence Fennel, Finnochio, Lucknow Fennel Seed, Foeniculum vulgare dulce, Roman Fennel, Common Fennel, the fish herb