Culinary Notes :
Allspice Berries Ground can used in the following ways
- Use it as a ground cloves substitute in cakes and pastries
- Commonly used in Jamaican Jerk seasoning
- Use it in spice cakes, puddings, cookies, gravies, bbq sauce
- Used in German sausages
- Used in English baking
- Sprinkle on pumpkin soup
- Bouquet: pungent and aromatic, like a combination of nutmeg, clove , ginger and cinnamon.
- Flavour: warm and sweetly pungent with peppery overtones.
- Hotness Scale: 4
Allspice has an essential oil known as eugenol, which is responsible for it’s many health benefits. It helps to treat digestive problems, reduce pain and also has anti-microbial properties. It can additionally help to improve circulation and has antiseptic and antioxidant properties.
Recipe/ product links:
Country of origin:
Other names or spelling:
pimento Jamaica Pepper, Bay Rum Berry, Pimenta dioica, kurundu, myrtle pepper, pimento, newspice, clove pepper, pimento, toute-épice, jamikapfefer, kabab cheene, seetful, pimento de Jamaic, Pimento Berries