Culinary Notes :
- Use in sweet spice blends for a deliciously spiced flavour.
- They can be used to flavour soups, broths or poaching liquids
- They can be added to walnuts and raisins and used in a stuffing recipe.
- When combined with cinnamon it is a great addition to apple cider
- As cloves have a very intense flavour, it is important to be careful when deciding how much to use in order to not overpower the flavours of the other ingredients.
Cloves contain an active component called eugenol, which contain not only toothache-quelling qualities, but also has several other medicinal properties. It has anti-bacterial properties and is a natural insect repellent. Cloves are a good source of manganese, vitamin K and dietary fibre.
Recipe/ product links:
Country of origin:
Indonesia, India, Madagascar, Zanzibar, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Tanzania.
Other names or spelling: Nelkin, Ting-Hiang, Eugenia caryophyllata