Nutmeg is a unique, versatile and sweet spice. It is the dried, large and hard seed of a pear shaped fruit. It is finely ground, has a brown colour and contains a high oil quantity. Has a warm aromatic flavour that complements a diversity of foods, particularly sweet dishes. Grate the nutmeg whole on a fine microplane grater to release its aroma and flavour.
Culinary Notes :
- Use whole during cooking and remove before serving
- Shave or grate over dishes
- Use it in cheese sauces, seafood, lamb, casseroles, soufflés, pasta, ricotta fritters, rice dishes, and stuffing.
- Use as a topping in eggnog
- Use in potato dishes, milk drinks, sauces and meatballs and sausages.
- Use in apple pie spice and pumpkin pie spice
- Use in split pea, cream and pumpkin soup and tomato soups
- Use it in cakes, muffins, breads, pound cake, biscuits and roasts
- It goes well with cardamom, cinnamon, coriander, cumin, ginger, mace and pepper.
Nutmeg has many health benefits. It can be used as aid to digestion and to sleep. Also, it can protect the brain against degenerative diseases.
Recipe/ product links:
Country of origin:
Other names or spelling: Muskat, Muskatnuss, Myristica fragrans